Thursday, December 25, 2014

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo
In my biography I had said that I am pansexual. Pansexual to me means that I can fall in love with anyone regardless of their gender. Yes, I am queer. This post is based on Frida Kahlo. In my family I grew up with the belief that I should do everything in my power to become the best wife for my future husband, but what happens if I don’t marry a man? It’s okay to be who you are and it’s okay if I don’t marry a man. I choose to talk about Kahlo because she was the first Mexican person who I found out that was bisexual. Frida Kahlo is one of my mujers role model and I love her artwork as a portrait artist.

Frida Kahlo:
 
La Casa Azul near México City
Today Frida Kahlo had become a famous figure in everywhere I go in San Francisco and I want people to know who she is instead of going with the crowd. Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo y Calderon was bon on July 6, 1907 to Matilde Calderon y Gonzales and Guillermo Kahlo.  She was born in La Casa Azul (The Blue House) in Coyocan, which was a small town on the outskirts of México City.

As a child Frida had poor health and contracted polio at age of 6 and had to be bedridden for nine months. The disease has caused her right leg to be a lot skinner than her left leg, which was the reason why she wears long skirts for the rest of her life. Kahlo met Diego Rivera in 1922 when she went to the renowned Prepartory School in México city.  At the same year she joined a gang and fell in love with the leader Alejandro Gomez Arias. There was a huge accident that had caused her to start painting and that was on a September afternoon when she traveled with Gomez Arias on a bus. The bus collided with a streetcar that had caused a steel handrail that impaled her through her hip. Kahlo spine and pelvis are fractured and this accident left her in a deal of pain of physical and physiological.

From this accident she had to stay in the hospital for several weeks and when she return home she had to wear a full body cast for three months. To kill time she started painting and finished her first self-portrait the following year.

Frida once said, “I paint myself because I am often alone and I am the subject I know.”

“Two Nudes in the Forest” or “The Earth Itself”
Painting of "Two Nudes in the Forest"
My favorite painting by Friday was “Two Nudes in the Forest” because it was a painting for her intimate girlfriend Dolores del Rio. She never tried to hide her bisexuality and this painting reveals that. There is two mujeres sitting in the background of a forest and in the background there is also a monkey. The monkey is said to be a symbol of devil and sin, but regardless of the monkey the mujeres are still together. The painting shows a relationship between two mujeres and it is very inspirational to me. It’s inspirational because it is a reminder that it is okay for me to like mujeres or anyone.

Resources:






No comments:

Post a Comment